licensing and law

Compulsory Basic Training (CBT)

CBT Training

This is a government run course provided by approved training bodies such as CAM Rider. It must be taken by any rider who wants to use a moped or 125cc bike on “L” Plates. It is a set course of instruction and assessment that takes the learner from the beginnings through to essential skills to keep you safe on the road. The course will include 5 elements and have a minimum of a two hour road ride at the end. The course normally can be completed in a day, but occasionally some people take longer. On successfully passing the CBT you will be given a certificate that allows you to ride your learner bike. The certificate is valid for two years, in which time you will need to pass your full test or take CBT again.

  • Age 16 Ride a 50cc moped (geared or automatic)
  • Age 17+ Ride a 125cc learner bike (geared or automatic)

The CBT is one of the first legal steps, and must by law be taken by any new rider before they get on the road using “L” plates.

Don’t worry if you have never ridden before, as the course is aimed at complete novices with no experience at all. Our instructors take you through all the elements, so you safely learn whilst feeling confident and happy.

On arrival you will be met by your instructors and given a chance to settle in with a cup of tea or coffee. Then the course will begin, going through the five elements of CBT.

CBT Courses usually start either 8.00am or 8.30am depending on the time of year, and will take till the late afternoon to complete.

Elemant A

The aims and objectives of the course

30 to 40 mins

Elemant B

Introduction to learning the controls

45 mins approx

Elemant C

Practical on site training

2 to 3 hrs approx

Elemant D

Classroom training on road safety

1 hour

Elemant E

Practical riding on the roads

Minimum 2 hours

All of the elements need to be taught in turn as it's important to master one skill before the next. When you have successfully learnt all the required skills you will be issues with a DL196 (pass certificate). This is valid for two years and allows you to ride a moped or learner motorcycle on the road, unaccompanied. You must display “L” plates, you can not take a passenger and you can not use motorways.

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

I have a driving licence for a car – do I need a CBT to ride a 50cc Moped?

If you passed your car driving test on or after 1 February 2001, you can ride a moped, but only if you complete a CBT course to confirm your full moped rights. You only need to do this once instead of repeating every two years – but keep the CBT certificate safe as it will be your only proof. Remember this only allows you to ride a 50cc moped – nothing larger.

If you passed your car driving test before 1 February 2001 you don't need to complete a CBT course to ride a moped. However, we and the Driving Standards Agency (DSA) recommends that you do.

If you want to ride a motorcycle you must apply for a provisional motorcycle licence and then complete a CBT

How long is a CBT course?

The CBT course should last for at least 5 to 8 hours. There is a set routine that is regulated by the DSA. You will be taught elements in turn and when you are safe to go onto the next element then you progress through all the five stages. Most people get through in one day but sometimes a customer may need to come back another day to carry on training depending on how well they get on. The CBT course is completely safety orientated so if you can’t complete all the stages on the day, then a rest and a return later on is the best and safest way to progress. This is also a requirement of the DSA.

I have never ridden before – is this course OK for me?

Yes – the CBT course is suitable for complete novice riders.

I don’t have a bike or any gear, can I still attend?

Yes – We have new loan bikes and mopeds, plus helmets, gloves, jackets and waterproof trousers, catering for small to extra large.

Can I train without the original copy of my driving Licence?

Sorry but no. As the CBT course is legally required and regulated by the DSA, we have to see the original  plastic card licence (we no longer need to see the paper counterpart) or your original old paper style licence if you have not updated yet - licences must be clearly legible and no copies are allowed.

Can I fail the CBT?

There is no set pass fail mark for the CBT. You need to learn skills and demonstrate that you are competent and safe before moving onto the next one. You won’t pass for just turning up so the input from you is to listen, learn and then show that you can do it.

I have not ever read the highway code – will you teach it to me on the day?

No – When you sign your licence you are stating that you have read and understood the highway code. You don’t need to be an expert but you will need to know road signs and what the traffic rules mean.

Instructor Jobs and Franchises


DSA Driving Standards Agency

Camrider reg