licensing and law

About Motorcycle licences


You will need a valid provisional licence with the appropriate moped or motorcycle entitlement. Most people will have the new photo card and paper counterfoil type of licence. You need both parts at all times for training and test. If you have an old style UK licence without a photo card you must bring along a valid passport too. Without these documents you cannot take training or test.

Paper and Plastic License Passport
New plastic card and paper counterpart Old style paper licence which must be supported by an in date UK passport

Car Drivers

Full UK car licence holders automatically have provisional motorcycle entitlement, but some of the old style licences don't show this. It is a good idea to check your licence to make sure.

Where do I get the form to apply for a provisional UK licence?

You can apply online - the DVLA require a photo. If you have a valid UK passport then they can use the scanned image from that! This can be a good way of saving time and effort. If you dont have a UK passport you can still apply online but you will need to post a photo off to DVLA.

Apply for a licence online: DVLA online licence application (processed online)
Or you can order the D1 online: DVLA online form ordering (posted out to you)

You can always get a D1 form from the post office and there is a premium checking service available that can speed up applications. Details here: Premium checking service.

Plastic card, or no training or test

When you come to train and take your test you must bring the plastic licence photo card and you no longer need the paper counterfoil. As we are licenced by the DSA we have to properly check your licence details. Without the plastic card you can not take training or tests and fees will be lost if we have insufficient notice of the cancellation.  If you just have the very old style paper licence, you can train - but bring this licence with a valkid in date passport. - You will need to update your licence asap afterwards.

European licence holders in UK?

European licence holders must complete a D1 form and gain a UK licence and counterpart.

What you need to do if you have a EU issued licence

  • Complete the application form D1
  • The D1 form is available from the Post Office or online DVLA online form ordering (tick D1 pack)
  • Enclose original identity documentation confirming your identity
  • Enclose one passport sized colour photograph
  • Enclose the fee of £50.00, cheque or postal orders made payable to ‘DVLA, Swansea
  • Enclose your current driving licence (this will be returned to the issuing licensing authority)
  • Send your completed application to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BT or you may be able to use the premium checking service

What happens next

Your new driving licence will normally be issued within 15 working days from the day the DVLA receives your application

All the entitlements you have from your original EU country where you passed your car or other tests will remain, and you can change the licence back should you return to your home country to live, or if you become resident in another EU country.


Helpful information and helpful web sites

  • DVLA web site with complete information on the law and licences

Instructor Jobs and Franchises


DSA Driving Standards Agency

Camrider reg