Provisional Licences

You will need a valid provisional licence in order to apply for your chosen moped or motorcycle test.


Most people will have the new photocard and paper counterfoil type of licence. You just need to show us the original photocard. We can’t accept copies.

We may need to check with the DVLA if you have any penalty points so please know your National Insurance number which allows us to check online. Alternatively, you can use this link:


With this, you can print a form with a special check code and we can use this to check your licence if we need to. This code is valid for just 21 days!

If you have an old-style UK licence without a photo card you must bring along a valid UK passport too. Without these documents, you cannot take training or test.

Car Drivers

Full UK car licence holders automatically have provisional motorcycle entitlement, but some of the old-style licences don’t show this. It is a good idea to check your licence to make sure.

Please remember we need your original UK photocard or your old just paper style licence with your valid UK passport.

Please remember your NI number or get your DVLA check code.

Where do I get the form to apply for a provisional UK licence?

You can apply online – the DVLA require a photo. If you have a valid UK passport then they can use the scanned image from that! This can be a good way of saving time and effort. If you don’t have a UK passport you can still apply online but you will need to post a photo off to DVLA.

Apply for a licence online: DVLA online licence application (processed online) 
Or you can order the D1 online: DVLA online form ordering (posted out to you)

You can always get a D1 form from the post office. Fill it in by hand and post it off in the normal mail.

Plastic card, or no training or test

When you come to train and take your test you must bring the plastic licence photocard and you no longer need the paper counterfoil.

As we are licensed by the DVSA we have to properly check your licence details. Without the plastic card, you can not take training or tests and fees will be lost if we have insufficient notice of the cancellation. If you just have the very old-style paper licence, you can train – but bring this licence with a valid in date UK passport. You will need to update your licence asap afterwards.

Please note: Make sure you know your National Insurance Number or have the printed DVLA form with the check code that is still in date so we can check online for penalty points.

European licence holders in the UK?

European licence holders must complete a D1 form and gain a UK licence and counterpart.

What you need to do if you have a EU issued licence

  • Complete the application form D1 see the process here
  • The D1 form is available from the Post Office or online DVLA online form ordering (tick D1 pack)
  • Enclose original identity documentation confirming your identity
  • Enclose one passport-sized colour photograph
  • Enclose the fee of £43.00, cheque or postal orders made payable to ‘DVLA, Swansea
  • Enclose your current driving licence (this will be returned to the issuing licensing authority)
  • Send your completed application to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BT

What happens next

  • Your new driving licence will normally be issued within 15 working days from the day the DVLA receives your application
  • All the entitlements you have from your original EU country where you passed your car or other tests will remain,
  • You can change the licence back should you return to your home country to live, or if you become resident in another EU country.